This class is for those with little or no quilting experience. The techniques you’ll learn include:
- Choosing fabrics and supplies
- Using a rotary cutter
- Accurate machine piecing
- Preparing your quilt for quilting
- Basic machine quilting
- Binding your quilt
- Plus, you’ll get loads of tips to guide you along the way.
We will make sure you are comfortable with each step of the piecing and quilting process in class. You will finish each step at home. If you’ve never taken a beginner quilt class, we advise you to take this before taking other quilt classes we offer.
- Fabric amounts to make a 42" x 48" crib or wall-hanging size quilt (recommended size):
3 coordinating fabrics - 1 yard of each
Neutral cotton thread to match
This will be enough fabric to make a 42" x 48" crib or wall-hanging size quilt. Although this pattern could easily be made any size, I recommend if this is your first quilt to keep it small. However if you are sure you are ready to try a larger size quilt you may make a larger quilt.
Optional fabric amounts for a throw quilt 54” x 66"
3 coordinating fabrics
- 1 3/4 yard - main color
- 1 1/2 yard - light color
- 1 1/2 yard - accent color
- Sewing machine in good working condition
- 80/20 universal machine needles
- 1or 2 wound bobbins
- 1/4 patchwork foot
- Walking foot for your machine
- Rotary cutter with 45mm blade
- Cutting mat
- 6 x 24 inch ruler
- Fabric scissors
- Small scissors for snipping threads
- 100% cotton 50wt. thread that blends with the fabric
- Fine straight pins
- Pointy, sharp seam ripper
- Fabric marking pencils with dark and white leads
- Large safety pins
- Pen and Paper for taking notes
- A SMILE :)
- Quilting book by Pat Sloan "I Can't Believe I'm Quilting" is highly recommended
You won't need ALL of these for the first class- if you have your machine and basic sewing supplies, we can help you choose the fabric, etc. We have cutting mats, rotary cutters, 1/4 patchwork feet, walking foot, and all such supplies. We will have the book and pattern available for you too. So come prepared to have a fun time!!!